The Red Lotus Lake (Udon Thani, Thailand)


There is something in its name that isn’t quite right. Yes, it is a lake of 2.5 square kilometres in dimension. But the lotuses are not exactly red but pink. In fact, they are not lotuses at all but water lilies. Yet the entire lake is so gorgeous - a vast patchwork of vivid pink colour of stunning beauty. Everywhere I look, there is an abundance of pink water lilies floating on the water. They satisfy my eyes and gave me a wonderful feeling of being grateful for life itself. 


This lake is called Talee Bua Daeng or The Red Lotus Lake. It is located in Udon Thani province, Northern Thailand. Some 3 kilometres away from the town centre, I started the journey by road at dawn. I had to get there by 6 as I wanted to see the sunrise. Also, the tour boats only run until 10 when the beautiful pink lilies are in full bloom. By noon, the flowers close. 

I hopped onto the hired boat for a two hours ride and was gently transported to a very pleasant, tranquil place. The weather was very nice. Fresh, cool air was touching my face but not cold. To see the sun slowly rising on the background was stunning and utterly breathtaking. To watch the morning breaking softly surrounded by beauty was such an unforgettable moment. I can hear the birds singing sweetly from a distant. The sound of the water breaking swiftly as the boat moves forward gave a feeling of peace. 


It was said that this lake is known for an ancient love story with a very sad ending. But it is hard to know which ancient love story it is. There are many ancient love stories centred around a lake with tragic finale. In fact, I can't find more information about this lake. I wanted to know more about its history but there were no tourist guides to tell me its story. I didn’t find anyone around the area who can tell me either, not even the men who guide the boats around the lake. There were no tourist information to be found. 

But probably the wonderful scenery speaks for itself. The lake with all its beauty was telling me and everyone else there that indeed it is the most beautiful place on earth!

Comments