The strange thing about Madrid


The strange thing about Madrid was the heat. It was so hot that the temperature reached up to +49 degrees celsius. More strange still was the fact that I was not sweating. I quite enjoyed the sun pricking through my skin. 

Stranger still that people thought I speak Spanish. But I do understand much of what was spoken to me. I never thought I knew the language that much. Knowing Spanish gave me a lot of advantages from ordering food ( I can get what’s on the menu!) to knowing the cost (I can count in Spanish!). I could have just blended in!

But the best part of it all was not the many sales going on at Gran Via but visiting the three best museums in Madrid. I could just get lost at the Museo Nacional del Prado. I was there for 6 hours but I know I haven’t seen all the paintings yet. I love the historical paintings. There was one painting which showed a man who died of a broken heart. It’s true what studies say that a broken heart could caused death! I was also so trilled to see a painting that I remember as a Christmas card from childhood. The Museo National Centro de Arte Reina Sofia was about paintings in bold colours and seeing the most prominent painting of Pablo Picasso, the Guernica. The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza made me the happiest when I saw and had a photo with Vincent Van Gogh’s Les Vessenots in Auvers, 1890. I love it so much that I got a set of coloured pencils with the same painting on its tin box and even an umbrella with it. I got a bit crazy I guess. People should visit these museums if given a chance and if they are into paintings. The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza was also having the Vogue Like a Painting exhibition with many amazing photos. 

And of course, I’ve tried the tapas, the paella, the sangria and watched that ear wrecking, shoe tapping, full of grace Flamenco performance accompanied by Spanish guitars. Loved it!

Comments